Monday, May 31, 2010

I DID IT

I finally graduated back in April! Caleb was only three weeks old during the ceremonies in Provo, so we didn't attend. The degree? Master of Public Administration from BYU. Despite the unconventional finish of my degree while here in Pittsburgh, I learned a ton from my classes and I'm so glad I did it.

Back in 2006/2007 when I decided to apply for the program, I kind of did it on a whim. Didn't study much for the GRE, and when I was accepted not only was I surprised, but I had a big decision to make. Should I go back to school?? I had a job teaching 5th grade that I loved, and I'd have to go back to student finances. But I felt really strongly that if I didn't take the opportunity that year I might never get the chance at a masters again. Little did I know how right that feeling was! I'll spare you the details, but it was so right - and even then, it barely happened. But I did it! And I'm glad.

Silly, I know, but I had them send me the clothes so we could take a few pictures.



Let's be honest, the whole motivation to get a graduate degree is to wear the hood!!


Caleb's so cute!



He wasn't in the direct sun for very long, I promise!


And for the record, I used to dream of a PhD someday... NOT ANYMORE! I think I'm done. :)

4 comments:

  1. good for you! I love that you did the whole cap and gown thing anyway:) someday I'll go back and just get my bachelors, I think:) I'm so impressed you did all that. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I'm amazed you were able to complete your masters even after you moved. And you're right--it's all about the hood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Nicole!! I'm so impressed with everything you're able to handle here in Pittsburgh. The pictures look great and it was a good idea to include Caleb in the pics because it's not easy to remember things when you're prego. I never mentioned that his newborn pictures look AMAZING!! I kick myself for not having Libby do ours when Pax was newborn.

    ReplyDelete