Monday, August 29, 2011

Boston

Yes, we took this trip in May.  But it still deserves to be documented.  We loved this trip.

Boston is hands-down the cleanest large/famous city I've ever toured (except maybe Salt Lake).  It's truly beautiful. Historical and modern.  Big and quaint.  I really really like Boston.  If it weren't so expensive to live there, I would really lament not going to Tufts.  Luckily, I don't since we're probably getting out of here debt free!!  But anyways, I really enjoyed Boston and would totally recommend this location for a fulfilling vacation destination.

So let's begin our tour.  This is how it went: Caleb snuggled in his carseat stroller (which has now been retired, he's too big), me in all the clothes I brought on my trip cause it was colder than I anticipated, and usually Kim (my MIL) at my side, although here she's behind the camera.


Here's where the Boston Pops play for huge adoring crowds every Independence Day.  It really is right on the river with a huge park all around.




On the famous shopping street (what's its name?) at the bottom of Beacon Hill, a city ordinance requires all the signs to be electricity-free, so as to maintain a slightly more colonial feel.  It works and is really beautiful.


Walking & exploring.


Under the branches of this beautiful tree in Boston Common.  Here they had the swan-boat rides where a driver paddles you around the little lake.  It's extremely picturesque.


Of course ever since Tyler started reading sports writer Bill Simons, he thinks he has a right to cheer for the Sox like a native Bostonian.  I still don't see the logic, but the tour of Fenway Park was super interesting.  Bostonians like the past apparently, cause they like things to stay as they were.  It's one of the three oldest parks in MLB, very cozy and friendly.  I would enjoy going to a game there.




A statue of the famous Paul Revere along the Freedom Trail (which passes the meaningful locations in US colonial and Revolutionary war history.  There's a red brick/paint path on the sidewalk to follow through-out the city... very well done.




Some more sites along the trail.




Of course we had to stop for gelato, which we expected to be fabulous with the rich Italian heritage here, but we went to the wrong shop, cause it seriously disappointed!


On the freedom trail.



Caleb got a much-needed break from the stroller at the Frog Park.  So cute!  There were lots of cute kids there.  We did feel Bostonian-ish for a minute.




Caleb and this squirrel played together for several minutes.  It was the funniest things!  It would come close, then run a little away, then come close again, etc.  So funny!



Tyler was able to attend the conference for the American Association of Cosmetic Dentists with his step-dad while we were there.  Kim & Jim put us up in a lovely hotel room and we really have to thank them for inviting us to go with them.  We had a great time!

2 comments:

  1. Can I just say I am very jealous of all of your east coast adventures. I would LOVE to explore all the areas that you have, it really is a once in a lifetime experience. (Unless you move there permanently, I guess! but please don't.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we went to boston earlier this year, too, and absolutely loved that city. it was fun to re-live our trip through your blog :) you guys take awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete