Sunday, January 18, 2009

Happiest place on earth

So I want to talk about a little place that is perhaps the most magical place on earth. I know this is going to offend some of you who think that Disneyland is indeed that place. I'm sorry, but anywhere where a Mouse, even if his name is Mickey, rules the roost, can't be THE most magical. No, the place that I am talking about is where dreams really do come true. It is a little place that entices the masses to get up off their gluteus maximus and actually be active. It is a little place where bigger, better, faster, is the codeword, and winning is the mantra. A place that is never satisfied with what it has done, but rather, only wants to do better, and make the people it represents better as well. At this point, already risking sounding like a corporate spokesman, I present to you NIKE campus.


This is where the magic happens...(No name, just a symbol)

Why is such a place so magical you might ask? Well for me, there are 3 reasons:

1st: Anyone who knows me, knows that I am obsessed with sports. Whether it be playing them, watching them, or simply following them, I love sports. Why you might ask? Because for as long as I could remember, it has been an outlet for me. An outlet for my energy, for my frustrations, and it has come to be an outlet for my happiness as well. They are one of the few places where life's real one true lesson: "If you want something, you have to work for it" is entirely and completely true. There have been many athletic people who did not work and therefore, didn't get ahead. Anyways, I digress.

In front of The Airness' building...

2nd: I love Nike apparel. Why you might ask? Some may claim that many of their products are overpriced, or what have you, and I may agree with you about 50% of the time. But you can always find things on sale. The reason I like Nike apparel so much is the look, the feel, the quality, and the durability.

3rd: This is the place where so many legends (to me anyways) have tread the hallowed halls. People like Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Andre Agassi, Mia Hamm, Jerry Rice. So to be someplace where so many of my sports idols have walked, well, that's pretty cool. And they even name their buildings after them!


Better than a statue of a cartoon...A statue of one of the greatest World Cup soccer players in history...Ronaldo!


This is the workout center (How fitting! haha) We snuck in last year...

I think that Nike Campus would be a cool place to work as well. They have intramural sports. (I mean, there is a soccer field right in the middle of it!!! How cool is that!) They have a full gym, with what appeared to include: a swimming pool, a rock climbing wall, a fully lined weight lifting area and cardio equipment, and a place for spin classes. They also have a beach volleyball court, a putting green, basketball courts, and who knows what else hidden behind the trees and walls. They also have a man-made lake! And did I mention how beautiful of a city it is located in as well? (Beaverton, OR)


This is the soccer field...I'm morose it's closed, what can I say?


The man made lake with the magic in the background

I'm still trying to figure out a way to work at Nike, as a dentist. Nicole and I are working on a pitch to them, so hopefully by the time my stint with the Navy is up, we can move there and I can enjoy all the perks of being a dentist, and being a Nike employee, working at one of the most magical places I've visited. I would go into more details about it, but I don't want anyone with a similar affinity for all things sports related, who happens to be a dentist, or going to dental school, to steal my idea.

Since my first time there, one year ago, I also have worked up a line of my own for the health professions. Luckily, Nicole has some good friends who work there, and I think we can get it listened to. So as you can see, I am obsessed. I don't know whether Nicole knew about all this before or after she agreed to marry me, but I'm glad she puts up with it all the same.

A picture for all you female readers out there...You're not forgotten, by me or by Nike...

2 comments:

  1. You must be delusional if you think ANYWHERE but Disneyland is the Happiest Place on Earth. Obviously, you haven't been there with my mother. She makes it more fun than you could ever imagine.

    That being said, I do see the appeal of a big fat Nike campus, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Micci, I knew that if there was anyone that would feel angst in their soul over this post, it would be you. You're right, I haven't been to Disneyland with your mother. Knowing her, she probably does make it magical. That being said, you haven't been to Nike campus with Nicole and I, so you don't know how magical it could be either.

    ReplyDelete