Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Office

I'm not sure if this is going to be interesting to anyone; I took these pictures for my mom to send to my brother who's serving a mission right now. So if you want to know a little bit about my job, keep reading!

I work for the University of Pittsburgh in the newly established Center for Simulation and Modeling. (The website is www.sam.pitt.edu if you want to check it out.) There are 6 men and me. Countries of origin for these men are China, Hungry, Scotland, India, and the US. It's quite the party. Almost all of them have a secret language when their spouses call; I wish I spoke Russian or Tyler spoke German. Nevertheless, they are all very smart and pretty good co-workers.

The picture below is my view 37.5 hours each week. (Yes, full time for Pitt employees is 37.5 h/w.) The extra monitor and big keyboard for the laptop is pretty sweet. My job responsibilities include everything administrative (like purchasing, event planning and budgeting) as well as website upkeep and marketing, which are the activities that I prefer. I don't have enough to do to keep me busy all 37.5 hours, which I both love and hate. With my extra time I've acquired this new addiction (blogging), have fallen in love with Pandora, and am finally spending time on my independent study course.


Overall I'm very grateful for my job as it allows me to commute with Tyler to and from school/work, get a serious tuition reduction for the rest of my MPA classes, meet new people, earn money, work, be at an university, and isn't really stressful. I am pretty convinced, however, that my optimum job satisfaction will never be found in at a desk job. I've passed all the certification requirements to teach both elementary school and high school German in the state of Pennsylvania, so once my MPA courses are done, I hope to be back in front of a class.


Here is the virtual tour.

2 comments:

  1. I just read your entire blog and I am so glad I was able to find it again. I love the picture on your header!! So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic Nicole! You rock!

    ReplyDelete