In this month's issue of the Ensign President Eyring, inspired by the WWII Christmas song, "I'll Be Home for Christmas" writes about coming home to our heavenly home someday, and how we can create pieces of that heavenly home on earth now. It's a beautiful article with lots of truth, but there's one idea that is just burning my mind and so I have to share.
President Eyring describes the scene: "As we gather in that heavenly home, we will be surrounded by those who have been forgiven of all sin and who have forgiven each other. We can taste some of that joy now..." I imagine a room of people where all of us love each other purely and fully. No grudges. No hurt. No past arguments remembered. Just pure love. I'm sure you've felt moments like this before. They are so special and honestly, very heavenly.
So President Eyring presents an unique and simply beautiful idea for a Christmas gift that goes 3 ways: "At Christmastime you can give the gift of forgiveness." A gift that is free. A gift that is real. A gift that is eternal. One act of humble Christianity that's a gift to another, a gift to yourself, and a gift to the Lord. Although nobody in particular popped into my mind when I read this, the beauty of the idea struck me. And so I want to search my heart for old grudges or hurts that I've held on to, and I want to let them go, with the help of the Lord.
President Eyring also invites us to receive the gift of forgiveness this Christmas - from the Savior of course. I love this idea too. Repent of a sin - become more like Him and be forgiven of our past wrong and wrong way. Of course all this forgiving is connected: "As you forgive, you will feel the joy of being forgiven."
In the midst of all the giving (and/or talking about giving) we do at Christmastime, I find myself feeling a deep need for the love of Christ myself. I need Him in my heart. I need His love, His light, His power in my life. What better way can I fill the yearning for Christ in my heart that to use the gift He gave His life to give me? And what would be a better Christmas gift to Him? From His perspective, probably nothing.
So with me, I invite you to take President Eyring's invitation and give and receive the gift of forgiveness this Christmas. After all, what could be more Christmasy?
You can read the whole article here.
I love this post and you have inspired me to do the same thing. . . let an old grudge go. Thanks
ReplyDeleteI love you Nicole. You are awesome. Truly. Thank you for this.
ReplyDeleteThis post reminds me why I LOVED being your roommate! Nicole's words of wisdom are ever present. :) love ya
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love that talk?! Such a good Christmas message. :)
ReplyDelete