Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Craftiness & Christmas!

I am not neglecting my Thanksgiving/Crummett visit posts; I just haven't managed to get those pictures on my computer yet. I'm anxious to post something, so they will just have to be out of order!

Turns out that this is our 101st post. Look at that. Remember when I started this blog a year ago?? See here. That first post was probably my best and it's only been downhill from there. I'm not really sure why anybody reads this, but thanks to those of you who do. It makes us feel very loved.

Christmas is in full swing for us and I'm loving it! And it's got me feeling all crafty. See for yourself:


The Advent Wreath
I made my first wreath. Never thought I'd say that. I was actually super intimidated by the project, but I think it turned out alright! I even used green craft wire. I feel so crafty!

I should have taken a picture before lighting the candles for the second advent, but there you go (there are 4 candles there - two are just burned down). This is a German Christmas tradition that I LOVE. Each of the four Sundays before Christmas are the four advents. Each one marks the coming of Christmas. On the first advent, you gather with loved ones to sing carols, eat treats, generally celebrate Christmas, and light the first candle! You only light one. The next Sunday you gather again and light the first with the second. On it goes until Christmas is practically here!

We were invited to my boss's house on the first advent to sing carols (slightly socially uncomfortable, but fun), so we didn't actually light our candle (okay I hadn't even made it yet), but we did have some dear friends over on the second advent. The really humored me as we ate totally German food and sang carols. I'm such an awkward hostess, but it was still totally fun and somehow I just feel good about keeping the German alive in me.


Christmas Decorating

We picked out a real tree on Saturday, bought some lovely-great-deal ornaments at Costco, and decorated it with the help of some teenagers from the ward on Sunday with Christmas music playing and a roast cooking. Yummm! It felt so Christmassy, I just about burst.

We also found a little advent village at Costco. This is one of three structures that hold little treats for each day of December. When you come to my house, you better check to see if you beat Tyler to the chase. :)


My First Crocheted Blanket
Yes, it's a baby blanket, so it's not that big, and I did start it long before the Christmas season, but I just finished it last night and I'm so proud! I've made potholders and scarfs before, but never something of this size. There are well over 10,000 individual knots in this baby. Jackie inspired me while she was here. Can you see the little border edge?



Table Runners
This is my first experience with "machine quilting." That part didn't go so well, so there are several little puckers where there shouldn't be, but I think I kind of got it down by the end thanks to the pinning advice I got from several good seamstresses.


Christmas Parties!
This Ugly Sweater Party was very well planned and very fun! You can see my awesome bonnet sweater in the picture below. Then the ribbons on the front of the sweater make sense - they're holding the bonnet over my shoulders. (What a sweater, right?!?)


I love Christmas parties and didn't take pictures at any so far!! Luckily a superwoman friend sent these along to me! She did a stunning job at capturing an adorable smile of Tyler's is this one.

Merry Christmas-time!

5 comments:

  1. Oh stop it! I'm blushing! I absolutely love the advent calender idea and the house from costco And might I add that your Christmas tree is perfect. I thought it was fake, good picking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write amazing posts. So don't tell everyone that you don't. And I love Christmas time, especially our tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahhhh hahaha we picked out the EXACT SAME COSTCO ORNAMENTS!!

    Could we BE any more like sisters? I kid you not, our trees look identical!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are quite domestic aren't you? Nice job! Merry Christmas to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas!! I love this time of year . . . what could be better than decorating a tree and seeing the lights glittering every morning and night. And that's just the beginning (where did you get such a righteous sweater?)!

    ReplyDelete