Friday, June 15, 2012

Two Years

Caleb's birthday fell on Easter this year, so we celebrated a day early with our family in town, a couple neighbors, and a couple friends.  

The two things I love most about Caleb right now are: (1) how much he loves me - the hugs and cuddles and kisses and just wanting to be with me and (2) the curiosity and joy over all the little things like ants and how to put on your own shoes.  It's so fun seeing him learn things.  

He's still super ticklish, loves playing chase and hide & seek.  He has a crazy laugh these days riddled with screams.  He also still loves everything with a motor.  His favorite thing to say as of late is, "Come on!" which usually contextually is a plea to get someone to come play with him.  I don't have his stats from his 2 year appointment cause they are packed away in a box in storage somewhere but I do remember that he weighs about 30 lbs.  That is a lot!!  He still loves to be held a carried a lot, which I love to do usually but it has become more complicated since Luke was born!

His eyes are still the feature everyone comments on.  His eyelashes are a thing of envy!  He still loves his hats and is rarely found without them.  He also loves shoes and is pretty particular about them.  He eats just about everything, although he still struggles with hard raw vegetables.  He loves milk and my hair (still!) and is comforted best by those two things.

He loves cartoon movies and playing with friends.  He's slowly learning to share - so happy we've made some progress with this!!  His latest favorite thing to do is give Luke kisses on his head.  He does them so gently and it's so cute.  He's pretty good at folding his arms at home for prayers, but is often still confused or too distracted to fold them at church for prayers.  He's started saying "Amen!" lately which I love. 

In some ways it's hard to believe my little baby is 2 years old and in other ways I feel like he's been part of me forever.  I'm so grateful for my Caleb.

Here are some pictures from our little celebration:

Blow!

Yum yummy!  He didn't end up eating much of his little personal carrot cake, but some. 
(Same cake he had last year.)

Man, he loved this bus right away!  
(It is going to be like the best Christmas ever when we unpack all of his toys from storage in a month!)

He sure does understand how to open presents now...

We are going to miss playing with this little friend!

One of his gifts was this little backpack which he instantly fell in love with.  He ran around with it on just loving it.  Now it holds all of his little matchbox cars to take with him wherever he goes.

"Cheese!"

"I'm two!"

"And here's my family!"

I have a confession... I didn't cry after Luke's birth until Caleb came to see us in the hospital the day after Luke was born.  (In my defense, I didn't cry when Caleb was born either.)  It was amazing how many emotions hit me when he came!  First, I missed him terribly.  Even though I was so in love with Luke, I totally missed Caleb and was sad I couldn't be there at home with him like usual.  Second, he was overwhelmed and scared by the hospital. I think he was worried about me - so sweet!  Third, seeing him and knowing all the love I feel for him made me feel how blessed I was to be beginning this whole miracle of motherhood again. Fourth, (and don't hate me Luke!) I cried in empathy for the moments of jealousy and confusion Caleb would feel during the transition to life with a sibling.  Caleb and I had such a wonderful, sweet, harmonious phase in the months just before Luke was born.  I just soaked him up and tried to really relish our time together.  It was real and special and I never wanted him to feel like having a sibling meant I loved him less. 

Thanks for being our guinea pig Caleb!  And thanks for being so darn cute!  It's been a fabulous 2 years.  We love you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment