Monday, October 19, 2009

Columbus, OH

This past weekend we spent a little time in Columbus - and it was fabulous. Why Columbus? Two reasons: a party and the temple, both of which were facilitated by a lovely sleepover.

The Temple. Is there any place in the whole wide world more peaceful than the temple?? I don't think so. I love it there. It's my hideaway, my escape, my refuge. I love going there and feeling so close to God.

Of course I always love being there with my love too. I think we were able to make a significant decision through the experience, which is certainly a plus.



We also got to attend the temple with some of our old friends which was a special treat. They are wonderful people and it was so good to spend some time with them.




The Party. So it turns out that EIGHT people I used to work with in Provo are now living in Columbus. Amazing, huh? We decided it was high time to get together, so we did.

All the women in this picture, and 3 of the men served German-speaking missions and we all taught together in the MTC post-missions. Tyler, as you know, is one of the non-German speakers, and it turned out that the other one is in dental school too! Of course all the guys talked about was sports anyways. :)

True to tradition and culture, we had some bratwurst as the main course of our delicious meal. Next we talked, talked, talked. So fun.



The Sleepover. We were lucky enough to enjoy the hospitality of one of the couples. They stayed up late for our arrival on Friday night, and still let us talk their ears off until some early hour of the morning.

The next day they fed us breakfast and lunch and took us to the ADORABLE German village in Columbus. We went to a bakery and bought pastries (YUM!!!), some bread and vanilla sauce (LOVE IT). The native German store-owner thought our host and hostess were native Germans as well (IE they speak amazing German). I'm so sad we didn't take a picture of that place! Next time.

They also took us to a crazy German-town book shop. Very fun. I don't have a picture of all of us, but here's one of their totally cute dimpled son.



Seriously? So cute. We got to read a bunch of car books together. My favorite thing he said is: "No, thank you." I never heard him say "No" alone - he's a very polite 2-year-old. So cute!


A great weekend. Thanks to everyone for getting together! And especially thanks to B & M for letting us stay with them!

4 comments:

  1. Looks fun! I didn't know Isaac is in Columbus. Still trying to figure out a way for my wife and I to get out there and visit:)

    Lincoln

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lane went to high school in Columbus...so he likes it there too! Looks like a fun trip....next trip to Seattle maybe???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit... I'm a little bit jealous. It sounds like an amazing little trip. I wish I had realistic hopes of getting out there to see you, but I'm starting to feel a little bit home bound:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a great weekend! I was in Pittsburgh last weekend visiting Libby and DJ and was sad that I didn't get to see you in church. You were obviously off to doing great things in Ohio. Sad I missed you to tell you our congrats on your baby!!! What great news.

    ReplyDelete