Friday, October 9, 2009

One Year & A Day

As of yesterday, I have been employed by the University of Pittsburgh's Center for Simulation and Modeling for one entire calendar year. Not very long at all, but maybe worth a post.

Things I've Learned:
  • Employers who require a Bachelor's Degree for administrative positions are crazy.
  • I really enjoy blogging.
  • How use Adobe InDesign, Contribute, and a little Dreamweaver.
  • I never want to be a college professor, at least at a place that requires lots of grant-writing.
  • How to edit websites (see SAM) and almost how to write/create a simple website (not uploaded yet).
  • How to sit at a desk 37.5 hours/week. (We have 7.5 hour work days.)
  • Pitt really does give their staff AWESOME health insurance.
  • I really did love teaching school and I miss it terribly.
  • How to use a WIKI.
  • Pride seriously impairs progress.
  • How to navigate Pitt's bureaucracy (kind of).
  • Having an almost completely flexible schedule is something for which to be extremely grateful.

The Co-Workers:

This is my team a year ago. Each has a PhD in science or engineering (except me of course). From the left:
  1. Kim - my favorite, Chinese born, but American citizen, married, two kids - whole family is bilingual in Eng. & Chin.
  2. Karl - psuedo-boss, LDS so we have a common language, nice, way too busy
  3. Ken - real boss, he's the guy from whom the absent-minded professor sterotype was created
  4. me - should I cut my bangs again??
  5. Richard - also married with 2 kids, 5 cats, Scottish, awesome accent, very nice, quite sleep-deprived, second favorite

Since then we've added 3 people to our team, but haven't taken a new picture.
  1. Senthil - Indian, actually hard to understand because his accent is so thick, only non-married, cordial
  2. Levent - Turkish, very smart, struggle with liking him
  3. Akila - finally another girl, Indian, very nice, chatty

Conversation of the Day:

Akila: Nicole, you look different today.
Me: Oh, I'm not wearing any make-up. Haha!
Akila: I like it!!
Me: Really?
Akila: Yea, your eyes look smaller.

?????????????

I didn't know what to say. Truly. I think she meant it as a compliment.


What I Appreciate Most About Science/Engineering World:

It brings together people of every culture, language, religion, nationality, background, color, etc. These don't matter to a scientist/engineer. Sure they may talk about various ethnic foods over lunch, but when they're working, it really doesn't matter. Similarly, scientists/engineers are hailed for their skills and accomplishments in their field of study regardless of their backgrounds. To me, this is the atmosphere MLK, Jr. dreamt about.


Conclusion:

I'm very grateful for my job. I don't love it. I don't want to stay here forever. But I'm very grateful to be employed, that it's so flexible, and to have my eyes opened to University structure and the world of science.


Question:

Should I ask for a raise?

4 comments:

  1. Having definitely "been there...done that," kudos to you for making this list so positive b/c I know how easy it is to make it negative:) You are such a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the post and i can relate to almost all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on a year at your job! that was about the time I finally felt like I knew what I was doing at my job. good for you!

    as for the bangs, you're beautiful every time I see you, so I really think you could go either way.

    and, my opinion on the raise: really, it can't hurt, but it seems like generally, if they're not offering, they're probably not ready to give it. at least that's been my experience. however, I asked for a raise, and I do think I wouldn't have gotten one had it not been for me bugging them about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, ha! Nicole, I love this. I can so relate. Having worked at BYU, Arizona State and University of Oregon, I am not surprised to discover so much of the culture is the same. I always wondered if there really was some workplace that combined the flexibility/benefits with challenging/fulfilling work.

    I say ask for a raise (it's been a year)! I'm guessing you'll discover it's already been decided that you should get a raise. I bet it's even decided how much it should be and is clearly outlined . . . it's just one of those sections that have been overlooked due to the mass amounts of procedures and policies. :)

    ReplyDelete