Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Oh the Possibilities!

Tyler talked to his Navy placement officer yesterday and was given his location options.  It's really exciting and big!  So here are our options.  It's fun just to day dream about each place and wonder what it would be like, what it would teach us, and how it would change us.  I mean, what if I could learn to make real sushi first hand?  Or beignets?  Or play in the SC Carolina beaches with my boys everyday? Oh the possibilities!  I love it.  We haven't decided on our priority list yet; we have about a week to decide.
  • Camp Lejune, NC
  • Parris Island, SC
  • Kings Bay, GA
  • Okinawa, Japan
  • Main Island Japan
  • Great Lakes, IL
  • Meridian, MS
  • Guam
  • Quanico, VA
  • maybe Pacific Northwest

We are really excited and feel this great peace that the Navy was/is the right choice for us.  We are grateful to know he'll be employed after graduation and excited to find out what our next step will be.  We're just glad that we feel like we made the right choice 4 years ago and hope we can make the right choice for us again.

If any of you have any first hand knowledge of what it is like to live in any of those places, or serve on any of those bases, we'd LOVE to hear about it!  Yea!

8 comments:

  1. Wow!! That is so exciting! I can't wait to hear what your top picks are... and even more, where you will be going! Consider yourself lucky you don't have to worry about the stress of finding a job somewhere. You guys are going to love it wherever you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian lived in Mississippi when he was in junior high and he would probably tell you NOT to go there. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a good friend who's husband will be in the marines after law school. They have summered in Quantico every summer and love it there. Illinois is an amazing place to live even though it feels like the middle of nowhere'sville. However, awesome things about living in this area are the things that are all so close by. We go to Nauvoo fairly often for our temple trip and have done a ton of awesome things. We've looked up a lot of his ancestor's (on his mom's side) homes and the pageant is awesome. Not to mention the temple. Chicago is an amazing city to live by. We love Chicago. And Indianapolis is so much fun to visit as well. The midwest is just a cool place to live (despite the ever freezing winters). But all the other places sound really cool too, I just don't have experience with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you guys to figure out what is next. I can't wait for my turn! My dad lived on the air force base in Okinawa for a while as a child and loved it. My grandpa said it was one of his favorite places he was ever stationed. :) Good luck and congrats Tyler for finishing boards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! I'm sure you will love it wherever you end up. And it's just a year, right? So even if it isn't your favorite, you're not stuck forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you guys are thinking about Japan I should put you in touch with a friend I have living out there right now. She can tell you the pros and cons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, since I have lived in none of those places don't have much to offer BUT if it was me I'd choose, GA, SC or IL. Those are all places that I'd be happy to come visit you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister just finished three years in Japan last summer with her Air Force husband. They loved it! They also loved the easy access to Hawaii from Japan at discounted military rates and went several times.

    They had to deal with the tsunami that hit several months ago and the earthquakes surrounding it... they were having a couple earthquakes every week for the last few months before they transferred to D.C. (only to move to Virginia and have a hurricane and several bad winter storms).

    I guess none of that helps you know how much you will like any of your prospective destinations-- other than maybe to avoid anywhere my sister's family happens to be. Bad weather seems attracted to them like a two-year-old to M&Ms (they're going to Texas next...).

    viel Glueck und viel Erfolg!

    ReplyDelete