Friday, May 8, 2009

April in Review: Utah: Mike

The weekend we spent in Idaho and Utah, we had planned to be spent in Pittsburgh with Mike.

Mike Lesner.
Nationality: German
Loves: Jesus and food
Calls me: Sister Newton

He had been in Utah/Idaho/California/Arizona for a few weeks visiting all the returned missionaries he knows, and was going to spend the weekend in Pittsburgh with us. But since we were coming out there, he stayed and we saw each other there. It was so good to see him again.

A little background: (If you like missionary stories, read on. If you don't, then don't.)

I met Mike on the street one Sunday evening in Leipzig, Germany, summer 2005. My companion, Sister Eggenberger, and I hardly said anything to him, but what we did say included an invitation to Institute Family Home Evening the next day. He came. The singles stole him away from us, so we invited him on Tuesday for a lesson. He came. There was an Institute class on Wednesday. He came. We asked when we could teach him again. He said Thursday. We came! And the pattern continued...

Mike read the Book of Mormon quickly and knew it was true. He prayed. He prayed a lot. He quick drinking. Sister Eggenberger was transferred - he gave up his lighter and his smoking addition as his goodbye present to her. Brand-new Sister Nelson came - she was really great for him.

Mike brought us food during our ever-colder street preaches on Thursday nights. Before long he started preaching too! He handed out books of Mormon left and right. He would hand them a picture of Christ and with tremendous emotion would say, "This is Jesus. He is my friend. This is His book. Read it. It will change your life. It changed mine." We had to start ordering more books.

As winter approached Mike fasted for the first time. This was hard, but notice, I listed 'Jesus' before 'food' above - he made it. That Sunday I happened to have a cold. That night we walked into our apartment to the sound of the phone ringing.

Me: Church of Jesus Christ, Sister Newton speaking.
Mike: Hello, here is Mike. I've been in this phone booth calling you for a half an hour! Where have you been?
Me: Mike it's freezing outside.
Mike: I know!! Where were you?
Me: We can stay out until 9:30 when a member is with us teaching.
Mike: Oh.
Me: What's up?
Mike: I started another fast.
Me: Another fast?!
Mike: Yes.
Me: Mike, you only need to fast once a mon...
Mike: I know. Unless there's a special reason.
Me: What is it then?
Mike: You.
Me: ME?
Mike: You. You're sick and you're God's messanger and people need to hear the gospel, so you can't be home in bed. You need to get better. Fast.
Me: Mike...
Mike: Sister Newton, you're going to get better because the Lord wants you healthy and I'm fasting for you.
Me: Mike.
Mike: I want to tell you something else.
Me: What?
Mike: When I feel down or sick, this is what I think: "Jesus the very thought of Thee - sweetness fills my heart." Just like the song, you know? So if you feel sick or down. Just think that: Jesus the very thought of Thee.
Me: Oh Mike. That's beautiful. Thank you.
Mike: You're welcome. Goodnight.

Mike was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on November 7, 2005. He has been a ward missionary in Leipzig ever since.

So while in Utah, we got to spend a couple of hours together on Temple Square. Amazingly he hadn't been there yet.

A small part of the Conference Center.


The Salt Lake Temple


Peeking in on a MoTab rehearsal. They are so good!



Remember how in one of the Visitor's Centers there are several large orginial paintings, documenting Christ's life on the wall as you spiral up to this Christus statue? We walked it speaking of the Savior and enjoyed this beautiful representation.


As we walked back down he said quietly, "Sister Newton, I think you just taught me again." Is there anything better than being a missionary?

No comments:

Post a Comment