Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Baby to Call My Own

In about 10 minutes, as I write this, Caleb Russell Johansen will be 12 hours old. After almost 17 hours of labor, 19 in the hospital, our little man made his entrance. We love him so much we can hardly stand it. He's just so perfect.

Here are some pictures for you to enjoy!

There's 8lbs 6oz and 22 inches of baby in there. Can you believe it?
Just after I was checked into my labor & delivery room.

Here he is just seconds after entering the world and now on the other side of my belly.

It was amazing to have him right there with me just second after working so hard to get him here.
He's still purple!
The nurse was so great at cleaning him off while I was holding him.

Going to see Daddy.

Probably his first little kiss.

This was when they were taking care of his umbilical cord.
"I do not like this! Stop!"

"No, I really don't like this! Stop it!!"

"Alright already! That's enough!"

Here he is with our marvelous Dr. Lareau!
She's expecting her first baby in May. :)

Our awesome nurse Sue. Love her!

Being weighed.
Both our nurse and doctor were surprised.
They guessed he would be about a pound less.

Back with Dad.
He was so alert and calm the first few hours.
His eyes were open and he ate really well.
Showing off his beautiful eyes.
He was pretty skeptical of everything at first.

Now we are in our postpartum room and are finally really cleaned up.
Caleb got a bath and I got a shower and we're feeling pretty good.
He's gotten much more sleepy now.

I don't know how I captured this moment on camera!
But it perfectly describes how we feel.

If you are here in Pittsburgh, we are up for visitors now!
Thanks so much to everyone for the phone calls, texts, and other forms of well-wishing!

33 comments:

  1. Wow. I loved reading about little Caleb's birth. Way to go, Mommy! (don't you love being called mommy?) Congratulations to your adorable little family!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS!!! What a beautiful baby and family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Newtons of Illinois are so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I love him! I am in love with newborns, they are so cute and squishy and floppy and snuggly. I even think they are cute when they are wide awake at 3 am when everyone says they are supposed to be sleeping. Congratulations, guys! Can't wait to see him in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the most beautiful baby I have seen!! I wish I could come and visit you 3! (THREE!! So exciting!) I love you guys, and will be out your way in a few months and you better believe I will be there as soon as I can! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I've checked like 8 time today...waiting for the pictures. Sounds like everything went well. Inducing doesn't mean fast does it!...but you got him here! What a great size too. Hope you have a smooth recovery! Welcome Caleb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I know it's so selfish to comment twice, but I can't get over how cute that last picture is!!!! I keep opening your blog to see it again. What a handsome, happy little dude. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!! He's a beautiful baby!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh Nicole! I am so happy for you guys! He is so adorable! I REALLY want to come see you and am REALLY hoping I can find a way... my in-laws are here, so it makes things a little difficult. But I am gonna try my hardest! I can't wait to meet your little guy! I am also surprised you went with Caleb. My personal favorite. :) Hope you are recovering well and figuring out this whole mommy thing! You're gonna love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kimball thinks he looks like you and I think he looks like Tyler. After McKay was born, we thought it was funny how everyone instantly knows who the baby looks like. :) Caleb is adorable and I love the name. You look beautiful for having a 17 hour labor. How was being induced?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh, yeah! Congrats! I love the picture of his smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are so excited for you guys! We can't wait to come to PA and see you guys. By the way, the last picture is incredible! Way to go for all three of you, this is so SO awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH MY GOSH!!!!! CONGRATS!!!! He's such a little cutie and I LOVE the smiling pic. And Nicole, let's be honest, you don't even look like you were in labor for 17 hours in those pics... you look great! Keep the pictures coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. he is so cute :) can i come and visit you today? brett gets done early and i thought i'd run over around 11 ish? i'll call you! can't wait to see him!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats Nicole! That is the sweetest, and most spiritually powerful experiences ever. I am so happy for you two. He is beautiful and I love his little smile!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! He is absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to see more of this little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, Nicole! It really is amazing! He looks like he is doing great and you sound like you are doing great. Next time we are in Pitt we will have to get all the little babies together and tell them about our New Year's Eve celebrations! Good luck with the next few weeks, days, et. You will love them and do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look so cute in that first picture! I love your outfit. Congrats on the new one. We will have to come and visit but I don't remember where you live and I don't have your phone number. Can you e-mail me them at dontsmashthebug@gmail.com? Thanks! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh! Congratulations Nicole and Tyler! I can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  20. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! He is so adorable! He's going to be a very handsome young man. I'm so happy for you! Have fun with that wonderful little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats, Nicole and Tyler! What a cutie. He doesn't even look newborn (in the sense that some are all red and squished up and not so cute). I'm so excited for you both. Parenthood is the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a miracle! I am glad you both came out healthy! It makes me so happy to see your smiling little family! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  23. He is just so perfect, I'm dying to hold him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! I am so excited for you guys that it all went well! Have fun with him!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So happy for you. Your pictures are bringing back memories for me. Your little Caleb is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats! What a cute little guy!

    Jonny

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats! What a cute little guy!

    Jonny

    ReplyDelete
  28. absolutely adorable! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ok so I am the 27th comment but Congrats on this beautiful baby boy! I'm so glad to hear that everything went well and Nicole is recovering. The whole process is just totally amazing. Hope you guys make it out this way for Christmas! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awe, this just makes me cry. We're so happy for you guys! What a beautiful baby. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, my word ... you captured the beginning of forever right there!!!! Caleb is so handsome - of course! so sweet, smell him all day - and I CAN NOT believe that last picture. He is just so happy to be here in your arms - he couldn't help but show you! Isn't the love of a child - wordless! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  32. We can't wait to meet our new cousin! Bridget has been so excited about Caleb (I like the name) and we have been praying for you three-healing and growing in the first fews days. Lots of love to you three. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete