Okay, so I'm not really as upset as I sounded before (but hopefully I made you chuckle). It's okay that my little son hasn't made his grand entrance yet. I want him to come when he and my body are ready for him to come. My doctors won't let it be more than two more weeks from yesterday. That's pretty soon. And it will all be just fine, or probably more like totally wonderful, in the end.
Today was a happy Easter for us! Uneventful? Yes. But happy. I hope you've enjoyed your Easter!
I LOVED President Monson's talk that closed the morning session of General Conference today. The story of the teenage boy who lived a life riddled with disease, and yet had completely unshakable faith in the Savior, really touched my heart. And his dad's gratitude to be parent to such a noble boy made me cry even harder. I love that this family (like all of us) has the assurance of seeing each other and even living together again, after this life, because of the conquering power of the Atonement and Resurrection of Christ.
I love the verse from 1st Corinthians:
"For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive."
Is there anything more hopeful?
I also loved President Uchtdorf's opening talk this morning. He talked about compassion and love. He said (paraphrasing), "It is unworthy of us as Christians to believe that those who suffer deserve their suffering." It's so easy to judge - especially when we believe there are negative consequences to sin and positive blessings for obedience to God's commandments. But those two facts are not the whole dynamic of mortality! There are also trials. Trials that are undeserved, unearned. And so we can't judge. But we can love. And we can help. We can do what the Savior would do if He were here.
Elder Cook said, " We can spend our lives loving and caring for others regardless of the trials we face." I feel like I've become so selfish during the last phase of my life (and got lots of rebukes during conference around this topic- I won't fully expound!) One way I've been feeling this manifest in myself is a rationalization for not helping when things are even a little bit tough for me: "Well I'm having a bad day too, so good luck with that!" You know the attitude, right? Well I just loved how Elder Cook turned this feeling inside me upside down - not only should I not feel that way, but I have an opportunity to help, even when things are hard for me.
The last thought I'll share was the ever-repeated theme of motherhood and parenthood. So many wonderful things were taught. I think I needed to hear all of this conference before having my baby. (Except for Elder Hallstrom and his THREE stories of death in labor - could have done without that one!!) I love this idea: "The love of a mother comes nearer to the love of the Savior than any other love." What a thing to do! What a thing to engage in! I'm so excited and feel so blessed to be beginning the adventure of motherhood so very soon. I can't wait to love my little baby to no end.
So Happy Easter! Here's to new life, and eternal life, and the great life we get to live right here and now, together.
I was actually wondering what you were thinking when those three stories of death during labor were shared! Don't worry, I don't think it was an omen :) I too thought Conference was very timely and just what I needed to hear...isn't it funny how it always seems like the whole thing was orchestrated just for you? That's how I always feel. Anyway, keep me posted on the baby! I am looking forward to a happy text message :)
ReplyDeletewhat an amazing young mother (to be) you've turned into. I knew you would, but it's still nice to hear and see:) Sorry you passed your due date. hang in there, it'll come:)
ReplyDeleteyes conference was so good!! Loved everything about teaching children the gospel and mothers. Hope that baby comes soon I can't wait to see him!!
ReplyDelete