During his (incredibly long) 13-day life, Caleb had a 100% sleep-in-the-car record. That is, until today. The streak ended just after pulling away from the airport departure drop-off curb. He woke up, whimpered for a few minutes, and when the full impact of life without Grandma hit him, he wailed. And this baby isn't much of a wailer. But man, he wailed! (Apparently Grandma is the Tinkerbell of the Carseat Magic.) And all I could say to my little baby was, "I'm sorry, I know how you feel."
I'm afraid this is a preview of life-without-Grandma: more tears, less sleep. How am I supposed to do this without her? She has done EVERYTHING since Caleb was born, except feeding him. Cleaning, cooking, driving, shopping, laundering, etc and holding, rocking, soothing and loving our little baby. She has been amazing.
While I was growing up, adults often told me, "Your mom is a saint." I always kind of knew that, even as a kid, and always believed she was a top-notch mother, but she's proved it once again the last two weeks. We have discovered she's also The Baby Whisper. She seriously has a touch.
Thanks Mom for being the best ever. Can't wait to have you back!!!
I'm so sad for you!! I remember balling when my mom left!! You'll get through and let me know if you need anything. Oh and I'm making you dinner, let me know when you want it.
ReplyDeletecongratulations on the new baby! he is a beauty! enjoy:)
ReplyDeleteI still cry every time my mom leaves...even when it is not right after I had a baby and can blame it on postpartum hormones! Moms are great...I hope someday my kids will feel about me like I do about my mom. And I need to come see this little man soon! Sorry I haven't yet, although if your mom just left, it was probably better to let you two hang out. I'll call you soon!
ReplyDeleteDon't you worry Nicole. Unfortunately, I know all too well how you feel. Just hang in there because I promise it gets easier!! Actually, I don't know if it gets easier, or you just get used to it. :) Either way, it gets better. Plus we can start hanging out now during the day. And that way we can bawl together! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry! You can do it. I kept reminding myslef that millions of women have done this. And I completely know how you feel! I cried all the way to your house the other day dropping off my sister! So sad! You are going to be an excellent mother! It's amazing how much you appreciate and agree with the praise you received in the past when you have a child. Same, I always knew how amazing she was but when placed in her shoes, her strengths and character was magnified when I realized how far I have to go to become like her! Excited to see you again.
ReplyDeleteYes, it is no fun to have mom leave. I don't blame either of you for shedding a few tears.
ReplyDeleteGrandma's really are the best and it's so hard to see them go. You can do it!!!
ReplyDeleteyour mom is a saint. Now, I hope you got picture of her with your little man, and I hope you'll post them:)
ReplyDeleteYour Mom is a saint. It's the best way I've ever come up with to describe her. Except the baby whisperer. The first night home from the hospital, your Mom was the only one would could get Bridget to calm down.
ReplyDelete