With all the changes that are going to take place this year, I feel like this walking (read: wabbling) anxiety volcano. Sometimes it's calm and the lava stays safely deep inside, and I feel like an average ginormus mountain (ok, maybe the pun is intended), but then there are rumblings and more rumblings and eventually explosions (like right now) which often lead to NOT SLEEPING because my mind is reeling and the lava is flowing or immature emotional outbursts, which will only be recorded in my journal, rather than on the world wide web. :)
So these are my coping mechanisms for not sleeping. I start at the beginning and give each, in its order, a legitimate chance to put me back to sleep before trying the next.
- Roll over.
- Make a solution plan in head, sip water by bed, then roll over again.
- Try to start a really awesome dream.
- Pray.
- Refuse to think about anything and listen to my breathing.
- Get out of bed and eat a bowl of cereal, preferably sugary so that the sugar will hit in a few minutes and make me tired.
- Clean my email inbox. Deal with random stuff there.
- Pull out my planner and write down every meeting/appointment/plan I can think of and as many lists as there are floating around in my head.
- Wonder if the sugar cereal sugar rush is ready to crash me yet.
- Surf for baby products I want for my little man because this is light-hearted and exciting rather than worrisome and stressful.
- Blog, apparently.
- Probably lay down and try again... or sew.
First on the list. Just heard about these! Movement monitors!
You put it under your baby's mattress (or sheet?) and anytime it doesn't sense movement for 20 seconds, it alarms, ie if your baby stops breathing. HELLO! I cried/prayed myself to sleep so many times with Caleb just praying he didn't die of SIDS during the night. Talk about peace of mind! I would sleep so much better knowing this would wake me if my son needs me to start some CPR.
Second, a baby tub.
We had this mesh thing for Caleb that he nor I ever liked, so I got rid of it quite a while ago. These things are so huge, but it seems like they are worth it. Maybe I could have a baby who likes bathing rather than screaming through it??
Third, a swaddler with velcro.
I was so scared to try these with Caleb, even though he loved a good swaddle but broke out of them pretty early. But I think I'd like to try them this time.
Caleb kind of took a pacifier the first three months, but he never loved it and it never really helped us that much. Granted, then we never had to wean him from it, but I'm still allured by the baby-soothing possibillities.
Fifth, some adorable baby play mat like this with lights and sounds.
We just spent the weekend in Columbus with some of our BYU friends and they have one like this for their baby daughter. Caleb thought it was so cool. He layed on it with the 2.5-month-old, danced to the music, and played with the toys. Not to mention, Baby loves it too. Anytime she wasn't laying in there, he would look at the person holding her and pat the mat as if to say, "Hello! Can't you tell she wants to be playing on this awesome mat?!" It was very cute. I have something like this but very minimalistic without the lights and sounds. Upgrade!
Sixth, a white noise maker.
Tyler gifted one to me for Caleb for Christmas and we love it! His isn't a stuffed animal, rather a little machine, but so helpful, especially in a small, loud house. So I want one for each child! I would be happy to have another little box one for the infant, but the reviews got me interested in the cuteness here. There's a velcro strap on the back that can attach to a carseat or stroller for when you're out and about even! Nice! Plus, it's just cute!
Seventh, more of these types of little gizmos.
Granted, little babies only play with toys so much, not matter how cute they are, but I only have a few of the youngest-intended stuff. I'd also like to find some black and white stuff for his little eye/brain development.
Eighth, a jumperoo.
If Tyler hasn't died or deleted this post yet, he is about to now. Yes, we have an exersaucer, but this is different! It allows for a much bigger jump at a much younger age. Very cool. Sorry Tyler, for you it's anything Apple, for me it's anything Baby. Let's be honest: my entire list still costs less than the next Apple product you're dreaming of.
Nineth, plastic catch-all bibs.
I've never used one, but they seem so pratical to me now! I only have little cloth ones. I liked the idea of cloth better with Caleb cause of the softness factor, but they weren't often terribly effective.
There are a few other things like sheets for the pack n play since that will be Baby's sole bed for the first sevearl months, pacifier and hand-sanitizer wipes, an all-white blessing outfit for this man (so that he can have his own to keep forever and ever), a super cute hat for his newborn pictures, and of course the usual stock of diapers and wipes and shampoo. I also want to pick out the most adorable take-home-from-the-hospital outfit ever ... he needs a few non-hand-me-downs for the really important moments. :)
At some point I also have to face the double stroller quandry. My plan right now is to strap the baby to my body in either the Bjorn or the homemede moby wrap my friends made for me (or Ergo if I get the infant insert?) and keep Caleb in the single stroller. I don't really know if this is a good plan. Double strollers are huge though and I just can't decide which one I want, so I think I'll wait to decide until I've tried a few outings with two. Maybe I'll be wiser then ... haha! Probably not. Just more desperate and willing to make a decision.
I rhink that pretty much covers all the product thoughts I've been having for this baby bundle. I am so excited to meet him and get to know him! I wonder if he'll look like Caleb or totally different. I wonder what his personality is like. He might look like Caleb, but I'm sure he'll have a different personality just because everyone has their very own. He's a mover now, but in different ways than Caleb was in the womb. I'm dreaming that nursing will be easier (ie less painful) and hoping that I will be a better soother. Watching Caleb with babies lately has made me very hopeful about the meeting of the brothers. Of course I know it will not be all smooth-sailing, but so far his first instincts with infants are very very sweet. I'm so excited for our little boy to arrive!!
You need a plastic bib. It will change your life.
ReplyDeleteYou really do need the angel care monitor. I felt better about her sleeping in her crib in the other room with that monitor than in the pack and play right next to my bed. It really makes you sleep more soundly, I'm convinced. That is, if the baby is sleeping too. Also, yes, you should totally get one of those tubs. Here's what I learned about them: I totally thought Lucy hated baths in that thing and then my mom came and mentioned that I needed a lot more water in it. Once I started really filling up the tub a lot more, she LOVED it (especially when in the newborn sling). Of course you have to be a little more cautious having the water higher, but totally worth it to make them enjoy the bath. Good to know about the difference between the jumperoo and exersaucer. I think I'll go with a jumperoo when the time comes. And a sound machine that connects to strollers and car seats?! I think I need it!
ReplyDeleteIt was so fun to see you guys again this weekend! Thanks for coming! We're totally coming to PA... like, really soon... if it's still okay. I'll call you shortly about it.
Holy smokes! Your list overwhelmed me. Now you've got me wanting a lot more things than I probably need or have money for. Thanks for that. And contrary to what Jamie says, I have one of those plastic bibs and thought they were stupid. Maybe that's because by the time Trey was big enough to need it, it didn't fit around his neck! Plus it seemed super annoying. But maybe I'll give it a go with this next go around. Umm.. I've never seen those movement machines (or whatever they are called). I want one. I'm sorry you've been having a rough time sleeping lately. I totally feel your pain. I wish I could say it gets better but so far it hasn't! (Okay the uncomfortable part has changed, but other than that...) We really need to hang out this week. I am going crazy being stuck inside my house and so is Trey. Poor guy goes NUTS when we take him out, like he's never been out of the house before. Sigh. I feel like I have a lot more to say so maybe I should just call you. :)
ReplyDeleteSome fun things to dream about -grandma will have to get busy! I wish you were dreaming instead of being awake!! So sorry - now is the time to 'stockpile' all that sleep! I've been looking for blessing outfits, haven't found anything that I think fits the criteria yet - but will keep looking. Hope you are sleeping now . . . . .
ReplyDeleteI totally recommend the movement monitor. We had one with Isabelle and I never, ever worried about her. Lincoln is in our room for awhile but when he moves to the crib we will definitely be using it again! Also, I second the velcro swaddlers. We use it every night and then wrap him in a regular blankie so he stays warm. The best part is the fabric isn't all big and bulky! One last thing..I like the soothie pacis but they just seem so big for a baby so small! We have loved Gumdrop pacis for soothing between feedings and they haven't confused him as far as feeding/non feeding times. Isabelle didn't take pacis at all so we are learning as we go! Hope you can get some sleep!
ReplyDeleteI was totally just thinking about you and how we went through the whole pregnancy thing together the first time. I wish you were here this time too! We have the Jacques the Peacock - Natalie loved to look at it in her car seat and she still plays with it sometimes. Also, I think I would have loved to have one of those Angel Care Monitors. They were a little pricey for our situation with Natalie, but maybe for the next one...
ReplyDeleteHi Nicole! I'm catching up on blogs and wanted to add my two cents about baby gear.
ReplyDelete1. Jumperoo is totally worth it! I sold our exersaucer so I could have one and have no regrets. Even the older siblings love it and interacting with baby while she is in there.
2. The Woombie is my favorite swaddle "blanket" thing. (http://woombie.com/) We got one with #2 and I bought another one with #3 so I could have a spare. I love that it keeps them all contained, but they can move their arms around inside a little bit and it stretches and grows with baby. We have the "Big Baby" size and we've started using at about 6-7 weeks and then continued to use it until about 6-7 months when we weaned baby out of it. It looks silly, but it works!
3. Double stroller. Depending on how willing Caleb is to sit in the stroller, I found it to be a huge help when transitioning from one to two kids. We have a Phil and Ted's stroller that I love because it is smaller and lighter than a lot of single strollers. The car seat fits in it with a seat for a toddler too.
4. Instead of a baby bath, I just use one of these sponge things (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3618616) in the floor of the regular bath tub. I just like that it is easy to store-and cheap!
Anyhoo, I guess that was 4 cents. :) Love reading about your adorable family!
What a great list. Seriously. I second what Jamie says to the plastic bib. They are so easy to throw into the sink, rinse them, and throw them into the drawer - they dry super fast. I also swear by the velcro swaddle blankets. I've heard those movement monitors can be faulty and go off in the middle of the night for no reason and freak the heck right out of you. I don't know, though, I've never used one. Oh and I love my Ergo - and the infant insert is a must.
ReplyDelete