Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Neighborhood

I want to remember this evening and ones like it forever so I'm writing it down before it's forgotten.  This post is really just for me, and a little for Caleb to read someday and know how much he was loved here.  Sometimes I feel ready and excited to leave our neighborhood of potholes and smokers, but usually I feel incredibly blessed that we have lived in this neighborhood and so sad to be leaving.  Tonight's a good example why.

It began with a late afternoon walk up to Dorothy's to return two dinners worth of pans to her.  As she reminded me today, she was pregnant four times and knows how it feels.  That's why she sends her daughter or granddaughter down the street with dinner or invites us up to share it with us now and then.  When I came to say thank you she kissed me and had nothing but praise and smiles for Caleb.  She invited us for Easter, but mom will be here so we'll probably stay home.  Dorothy is the visiting teacher I should learn how to be!!

When we got home Tyler was there and ready to head up to The Boulevard to get his hair cut and we decided to go with and get pizza at Antonio's for dinner.  The pizza guy and I had a nice chat about our soon-to-arrive little man and life with 2 kids since he has a 2-year-old son and his wife is expecting boy #2 in June.  Nice guy.

While waiting for our pizza to cook we walked up to the hair salon and watched while Tyler got his hair cut.  Caleb was actually mezmorized and just sat it my lap watching (very unusual for him).  It was just us and the hairdresser in the place so we had a nice chat.  I saw feathers in her display and casually brought them up in conversation.  Before I knew it, I was sitting in her second chair getting a free feather placed, "because [I'm] pregnant and deserve to feel pretty."  So nice.  And YES, I have a white and grey feather in my hair.  Never would have thought that would happen.

While walking the Boulevard we got some awesome comments like, "Your son should be a model, seriously" and "How many more days?!"  It's amazing how pregnancy, little kids, and good weather get strangers talking!

So then off to pizza dinner where Caleb has graduated from the high chair and sits in the booth with us.  Next Tyler took us home and he headed off to a CPR class in Dormont.  Caleb played in the front yard (because it's been a beautiful warm day!) while I ate another piece of pizza.  Our neighbor to the left randomly stopped by with a cute little plastic lawn mower and gardening kit as a gift for Caleb which he LOVED.  He's obsessed with anything that has an engine, including lawn mowers, so that entertained him in the front yard for a while.  She has a nephew Caleb's age (and another nephew on the way!) so she knows just what he would like.  Then she came back over with a t-ball kit and a new water bottle!  What?  So generous!

So with a zillion new toys to entertain him, along with the enthralling ants that are everywhere, we stayed outside for a while.  Next Donna came home, got her cute little dog Princess, and came over to chat.  Caleb LOVES both Donna and Princess.  Just a few minutes later Mandy came over to chat as well.  We all had nice talk about how to get this baby OUT, what to name him, how adorable Caleb is, what our other neighbors are up to, who did what home-improvements when, how much we all want to kill the stray cats, and what their kids are up to.  They decided they are going to take Caleb hostage so we can't move. :)  They already tried telling the buyers of our home that we have termites and ghosts, but it didn't work.  I wish I could keep both of them as neighbors forever.

While we're chatting other neighbors drive by and honk and wave.  Every time Caleb exclaims, "Isssacar!" Meaning, "It's a car!"  What joy for a little boy!

Donna went home after a while and Mandy stayed.  Ian and his friend from up the street came over and hung out as well.  Ian was so sweet playing ball with Caleb and catching ants with him.  Caleb just ate up all the attention.  We talked about Mandy's efforts to adopt after her miscarriages and more about baby names.  I asked her what we can do for her husband Joe as thanks for doing the required Dye Test for free (and really going to bat for us with the city) and she said, "Stay. Don't move."  I really will miss her.

When Tyler pulled up we realized it was 8:30 and Caleb was up way late!  So we said goodnight and finally put our little man to bed.  I recognize that it's Caleb they are all in love with, not me or Tyler, but I still cherish their friendship.  I wish I could take them with me!!!  I feel very luck and blessed.  Neighborhood, we will miss you.

4 comments:

  1. Geeze what a contrast your neighborhood is from ours. I want your neighborhood!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geeze what a contrast your neighborhood is from ours. I want your neighborhood!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Nicole. I felt my Milwaukee situation was so similar...in fact I miss it still, quite a bit. It is hard to leave something wonderful. I hope this baby boy doesn't give you too much trouble on delivery. He sure is a lucky guy to have you as his mommy. Miss and love ya!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was lovely. But I had hoped it was THE ONE to announce the birth. I'll continue to wait.

    ReplyDelete