Thursday, April 9, 2009

Lost in the Line of Duty

Today I watched the processional for the three slain police officers of Pittsburgh as it passed by on Fifth Avenue, right by my office. I had been following it online and went outside as it approached my location. I was overcome by what had developed just outside my office since I had arrived that morning. There were police cars parked everywhere.

This is a five-lane one-way street. Three of the lanes are filled with parked police cars - all the way down the long street.


People were waiting outside - just to show their love and support the family members as they drove by.



It was very somber to watch and be part of. I'm really thankful I could be there.

Tyler was able to watch the hundreds of police await, standing in formation, the arrival of their fallen comrades. They stood on the steps of the Peterson Events Center (right next door to Ty's school building) for the memorial service. Tyler told me how striking and moving it was to see them all silently salute their lost brethren as they were carried, in their coffins, into the building.

Throughout the morning, I pondered the senselessness of this tragedy and imagined how I would feel if it had been my husband, or my father, or my son. When the processional had passed, I returned to my office and watched the proceedings and most of the service (as I could) online through a live news feed. The news station chose to title this coverage, "Lost in the Line of Duty."

What a hopeless end: "Lost."

But as I thought about that I realized, that is simply not true.

Those dear men are not lost to God.
He knows them. He loves them. He's probably been with them. And most of all, Jesus died for them so they can live-on in happiness and peace after this life. Jesus also lived again - and lives still. Because he overcame death, those three officers will too. I know they will. They will see and be with their wives and children and parents again. They are not lost to God.

And because of this hope, and the example they left, those men do not have to be lost to their families. Their legacy of honor and devotion and courage can live in their hearts and be a guiding light to them. They can everyday hold in their hearts the truth that they can be together forever in the life after this one.

Lastly, the lessons and the emotions of this experience do not have to be lost on us - their community. The news casters talked about increased kindness felt among strangers, and increased desire for compromise. The police chief talked about the new standard of care and commitment that will be expected of each police officer in the wake of their example and those who tried to save them. Parents and teachers everywhere must consider what can be done for each young person in their circle of influence who they might help and teach to live right. If we choose to become a better society and people because of their tragedy, they will not be lost on us.

I'm grateful for those lessons, for the courage and sacrifice of those men and especially for Jesus Christ whose life, death, and resurrection give hope and meaning to all that we experience here. During the service one of the family members who spoke said their Easter would not forever be tainted by this tragedy, but rather, the celebration of the resurrection of our Savior would become so much more meaningful - and that they are grateful that the anniversary of their tragedy will always quickly be followed by the anniversary of such hope.

I am too.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Nicole. That was beautiful. You made me cry!

    ReplyDelete