Wednesday, April 1, 2009

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. How to start?! Ahh! Okay, here I go.

We're going somewhere great for a pilot-program summer assistance-ship-thing for the Navy!!

Okay, let me explain. Several days ago Tyler got a letter from the Navy informing him that he had been selected to participate in a pilot program for their dentists-in-training. This program is optional, as it is a pilot program, and wasn't part of the deal when he signed up. We were interested by the letter, so he met with his Navy superior and got all the details. We haven't said anything to anyone because we really wanted to discuss, pray and decide on our own. So after days of excitement and consideration, we've decided to accept!

Apparently, the Navy feels like the learning curve from dental school to Navy dentistry is taking too long for new graduates. So they're piloting this program where students, during their summer break, spend three weeks on a base assisting a Navy dentist. Not only will they get some experience in the dental office, but hopefully they'll be learning Navy lingo and culture along the way. Pretty simple. They just want them to really get into it and be ready when they graduate. It's pretty great!

Since it's such a short assignment, they won't pay for me to travel to our destination with Tyler, but I am allowed to come if I pay for my travel to and from. I can stay with him (for free) in a little one-bedroom apartment-type thing. (I've never been in military housing, so I have no idea what it's like!) I guess he can eat in the cafeteria, but we will have a small kitchen too. I've checked with my boss, and they're going to let me work remotely (thank you internet) for those three weeks. IE: I GET TO GO! I think an adventure with my honey is worth the airfare.

SOOO.......... Where are we going?! We don't know yet! In true Navy fashion, they've given us four places to rank, and then they let us know. They are:

  • Bethesda, Maryland (aka DC)
  • Florida (yea! too hot in the summer?)
  • North Carolina (also beautiful I hear)
  • Japan (apparently they want us to stay close [cheap transportation] except they are so desperate for people in Japan, it's worth it to them)
What do you think? Which should be our top pick?! It's only three weeks, so we're not talking about a move here. Haha, I'm so excited! I swear, life just keeps getting better.

For your voting convenience, I'm setting up a poll. The gadget is up on the top of the left hand column for you to vote! :)

5 comments:

  1. So exciting, Nicole! Every time I try to vote, it just shows me the poll results without actually counting my vote. Weird. So I'll just tell you my vote. I would say . . . Japan. The other places would all be amazing too, but when else are you going to visit Japan?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I looked there was one vote for Japan... I think it might have worked. I'll keep checking on it. Thanks for voting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JAPAN!!! Is there even a question. A chance to live in Japan, take it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is seriously so cool and exciting. It will be an awesome experience for Tyler. Your first choice should no doubt be NC! Perfect for summer...right on the beach and tons of fun things to do and see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew I would find some good reading on your blog . . . what the!?!? Can't wait to hear!

    ReplyDelete