Monday, July 13, 2009

Do You Hear the People Sing?


Tyler and I went to see Les Mis this weekend. Tyler's heard the music, but this was his first time seeing it. We loved it of course! Kimi & Jeff were there too, which was very fun.

This morning while returning to the grind, I couldn't help but see the similarities between Tyler and his classmates and the men of the baricade. They have 24 credits this summer with tests and quizzes every week. They've all pretty much agreed that this is the worst summer of their lives! After taking a 3-hour accounting exam last Friday, my respect and pity and empathy for Tyler has definitely increased!

A few days ago Tyler said to me, "I just want to go on vacation SOOOO bad!!"
I replied, "No, you just want to get out of school."
He admitted, "Okay, you're right."

After a few more days of testing torture, I think this is how he feels. He's ready to rally the troops:


Do you hear the students sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people who will not be students again!
When the beating of you heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Beyond the load of tests
Is there a world you long to see?


Then join in the fight
That will give you the right to be free!!

Do you hear the students sing?
Singing a song of angry men?

It is the music of a people
Who will not be students again!
When the beating of you heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

Will you give all you can give
So that next year you can advance?

Some will fall and some will live
Will you stand up and take your chance?
The sweat of the students
Will water the hallways of Trees!

Do you hear the students sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be students again!
When the beating of you heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!





Unfortunately, I think if his class were to revolt, their fate would be just as sad and fruitless as the people. :( So 3 more weeks of surviving and the worst will be over. (Except for boards...)

The rest of the weekend was filled with yard work, tennis, some yummy food, church, a movie on the couch, some sewing, and of course, studying. It was fabulous just to be together. I love the weekends!!!



The rest are some deep thoughts about Les Mis... read on if you're interested.


It's funny to me how different characters or parts of the story that really touch me have changed through the years.

At 13, when my dad took us all to see it for the first time, Eponine of course was my heroin. Somehow the story of unrequited love really pulled at my heart strings then.

Next up was Fantine. She seemed to symbolize how life can really throw some people around and why we just need to love others instead of judge them.

Later I remember watching The Scarlet Pimpernel, and I thinking it strange how the aristocracy was the enemy in one, and the martyrs in the other. Likewise with The Citizens. In reality there were probably martyrs and killers on both sides... The French Revolution seems like it was terrible all around.

The Bishop with his wise mercy and then Marius with his love songs each had their turns.

Jean Valjean came next with his humble prayer, "Bring Him Home." Then his noble battle between damnation and condemnation: "If I speak, I am condemed. If I stay silent, I am damned." Questions as good as Alma 5, "How can I ever face my fellowmen? How can I ever face myself again?" Then the rousing conclusion, "My soul belongs to God, I know. I made that bargain long ago. He gave hope when hope was gone. He gave me strength to journey on! Who am I? 2, 4, 6, 0, 1!" Love Jean Valjean.

This time as I watched it, I thought about the push and pull of justice (Javert) and mercy (Jean Valjean) and what it shows and teaches. Mercy's archetype is obviously our hero and the one who leaves this world in peace with those he loves around him. Thought provoking.

Ahh, can you tell that I LOVE Les Mis???


4 comments:

  1. Nicole, I am the same way with Les Mis. I mean, I love most musicals, but Les Mis is just my absolute favorite. Give me the grimy set and power vocals mixed with that giant waving flag and I am good to go. Such a great story. Have you read the book? It is impossibly long but pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So maybe we should do a Les Mis night when you're up for the family shin dig. I would really love to hear this rendition live. Think Ty could pull off the acting while you provided the accompaniment? Can't wait to see you two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh... Thank you for once again immersing me in my favorite musical and all the things I love about it! I SERIOUSLY miss singing those songs with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard they were coming and wanted to go, and never did anything about it. Lucky for you guys that you saw it. I totally agree with you that this semester has been ridiculous for them and I can't wait for it to be over. Maybe then we can all hang out a little more

    ReplyDelete