The news arrived today. After waiting for FIVE months, our little office finally heard:
We have NOT been awarded the National Science Foundation's IGERT Grant.
HOORAY!!!
I know. I know. I'm a terrible employee.
Besides being whole-heartedly dispassionate about the success of our Center, I've been hoping that this particular grant proposal does not get funded.
Why?
Well it would be a lot of work. Now generally I like work at work. (It's WAY better than being bored.) But this grant would have meant starting a brand new PhD program, for which I would have been the SOLE administrator, marketer, and website designer. IE THERE'S PRETTY MUCH NO WAY I COULD HAVE DONE IT AND BE A NEW MOM. Meaning, I probably would have had to quit. It would have been interesting and meaningful work that I would have enjoyed, but I just don't think I could have done it all.
Granted, quitting would have been an emotional ice-cream-sundae every day, but financially it would have been nine-day-old leftovers every day, if not outright starvation. So really it's a blessing.
Failure, THANK YOU!
PS I should clarify that I did NOT purposefully sabotage this proposal. In fact, during crunch time just before it's deadline I worked lots of extra hours and really did my part - I love the idea we proposed. And our proposal did make it through the first two rounds of rejection - we were very close to being selected. I did try. And we're submitting again this year. But I'm still glad now!
Ha, ha Nicole. Congrats! So happy your office goal failed. :) You crack me up.
ReplyDeleteWe're excited to see pictures of our new little cuz! Hope you're holding up.
Congratulations Nicole! It's not every day you get to congratulate people on failing!
ReplyDelete