Calorie Counting
To determine just how many calories we each actually should be eating everyday, we use this formula, from my Turbo Fire Booklet:
1. Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) = Your current weight x 10
2. Daily Activity Burn (DAB): (Gage your activity levels outside of your daily exercise.)
- Sedentary = RMR x 10%
- Moderately Active = RMR x 20%
- Very Active = RMR x 30%
4. Caloric Deficit (CD): It requires a 3500 caloric deficit between what you eat and what you burn to lose one pound. So for example, a daily deficit of 500 would get you losing 1 pound each week. You need to choose this number for your equation, but remember that losing any faster than 1 or 2 pounds each week is not healthy unless you are extremely obese.
Now the formula: RMR + DAB + DE - CD = Your daily calorie target.
My book also recommends recalculating regularly as your weight and goals change.
So I have to say, calorie-counting takes SO MUCH TIME. Tyler uses this nifty program on his iTouch that makes it easier, while I am stuck with paper and pencil. Either way though, it's a time commitment. We bought a scale so that we can find out if that chicken breast is 3 ounces or 3.5, etc. (It makes a difference!) We use measuring cups to serve our food. We plan our snacks (to make sure they're healthy) and we incessantly look at labels in the grocery store. We cook from recipes that already have calories counted for you. We even look up calorie counts before going out to eat. It's intense. And I also have to say that Tyler's way better than I am.
Exercise
Me:There are several different DVDs and a whole schedule of which to do each day. Cardio, strength, core, yoga, stretching - it's all there. There's a prep-schedule for people who don't feel quite ready for the whole burrito, so I've been doing that. So yes, there's lots more to go for me!
I usually exercise during Caleb's morning nap, although sometimes I do get it done while he's awake and playing with toys. I've found that if I wait until his afternoon nap, it's serious battle with myself to get it done.
Tyler:
He starts with the P90X schedule, but when it schedules a cardio or plyo workout, he uses Insanity cardio and plyo instead.
Tyler is really great about maximizing his time with Caleb and me despite this commitment. Since I generally like to go to bed earlier than him, he usually ends up exercising late at night after Caleb and I are asleep. But sometimes late afternoon if he gets home from school early. Weekend schedules always vary.
Results
I know this is corny, but my favorite reward about the whole thing is how I feel. I LOVE never feeling stuffed, or bloated, or sugar-overload, or sugar-comatose, or like I ate to much. LOVE IT. I get more done in my day when I exercise. I just have more energy. Physically I feel more confident and capable. It's seriously helping me cope with my calling stress. My eczema has even dramatically healed! As previously mentioned, I have lost several pounds and dropped two pant-sizes. I may have bought my first pair of skinnies.Tyler might have to speak for himself about his results, but I will say he's looking even stronger and leaner. His wardrobe has also greatly expanded (as has mine!). He says he just likes feeling healthy. He can feel it when he plays sports.
So there you go. That's life at the Johansens lately.



I love Chalene! Glad you're doing well. Burg and I are in the same boat.
ReplyDeleteGood job! Brian and I did the whole P90X workout this summer but we got out of the routine after we finished the first round.
ReplyDeleteyou look amazing nicole :) you're awesome for being so motivated!
ReplyDeleteWell, the hard work shows! I've never been that organized about it, you inspire me.
ReplyDeleteI loved doing P90X, and it honestly changed my outlook on eating/exercising permanently. I've even been able to keep up a fairly strenuous exercise routine during this pregnancy, which I can honestly say I did NOT do with Mack. I agree--it makes everything better! I wish I were around to actually see your results! Pictures, maybe?? Way to go! That's a huge commitment, and I'm impressed you've been so successful!!
ReplyDeleteI want to see some before and after pics!
ReplyDelete