Thursday, December 25, 2008

Ten Toddlers-a-Leeping

The second week we attended our new ward in Pittsburgh, right after Sacrament Meeting, our Bishop called us in and asked us to be Nursery Workers. We agreed that the calling would be a new experience for us, and accepted. As we walked out of his office he said, "Oh and I think they could use you today!" And graciously opened the door for us. Thus it began.

Out of necessity, Tyler and I have developed some new abilities:
  1. Speaking for long periods of time in high voices.
  2. Pretending that we understand the Goo Goo Ga language.
  3. Wiping up spilled water several times in a row without getting upset.
  4. Wiping snotty noses.
  5. Ending battles over the fire truck.
  6. Making up random games on the spot.
  7. Convincingly telling children that this game is the funnest thing ever!
  8. Quieting tears (okay, this one is still extremely under-developed).
  9. Smelling bums for stinky-stinky.
  10. Pretending we're in a spaceship.
  11. Giving REALLY short lessons (e.g. God made all the animals. Do you have an animal - a dog - at your house? What does the dog say? (higher pitched) What does the doggy say?? Roof roof!! Bark bark!! That's right! Good job!! I know God made the animals. Amen!)
  12. Singing nursery songs.
  13. Not laughing at answers like: "Who is the Holy Ghost?" "The Holy Ghost is a MONSTER!"
  14. Acting out scripture stories, which always somehow include animals. (Teacher: "Alma packed his bags and went to teach the Lamanites about Heavenly Father..." Child: "And he packed all the animals to go too!" They all know Noah and the Ark very well.)
  15. Telling children they're not hurt when they fall down.
  16. Finding parents. :)
Okay, seriously, while all of the above is basically true, we also have a lot of fun with the kids. Tyler loves playing This-Puppet-On-My-Hand-Is-Going-To-Eat-You with the boys, which they love as well. They laugh and laugh and laugh - it's great! I can tell by the look on Tyler's face that he's not faking with that one. Ty is also really good a reading books. When he starts reading to one child, there are always four or five listening by the time the book is through.

I really enjoying singing time, especially now after singing Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam two times every week, a few of the kids are starting to do the actions with me! It's really very very cute. I also love it when they walk over and have to tell you something about a toy or just show it to you before they continue. I love it when they want to sit next to me or in my lap when they play. And I love it when they smile their cute little smiles.

So here are some pictures of our cute little ones.



Snack time!




This is THE fire truck.




Aren't they cute?!

1 comment:

  1. Ok I had to tell what our Nursery did about the water spillage problem. We just got a cheap little disposable sippy cup for each kid and put their names an the lids. Each week the Nursery leader just takes them home and washes them and brings them back. They are a life saver! Plus you don't have to keep buying paper cups for the kids.
    I love your stories! Nursery gives the best ones. Enjoy it while you can!

    ReplyDelete