Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Wedding in a Cherry-Blossom Tree

For his first day of Christmas, I give my true love... a post about our wedding day! We were married on May 3 in the Portland Oregon LDS Temple. All the cherry-blossom trees were in perfectly-beautiful, full bloom. Our colors, as you can see below, were different shades of pink and the blossoms played right along.

Preparation
The day, unfortunately, started off horribly! I went to get my hair done by someone I had never met. That was a big mistake!! But I did learn a few lessons that might help someone else make their wedding day perfect.

Lesson #1: Don't schedule a significant part of your wedding day trapped in a room forced to make small talk with a stranger. It's really awkward. Lesson #2: Have your hair stylist practice the do you want on you at least once before the day. Lesson #3: Never underestimate the loyalty of sisters.

That's right. With an unflattering hairdo, that was quite honestly giving me a headache, and tears in my eyes, my mom called my sisters in the car on the way home. (Remember, it was early on Saturday morning, and they still had to beautify themselves to bridesmaid standard.) They plugged in every curling iron in the house, using necessary extension cords. The moment I walked in the door they sat me down and went to work. They must have taken out a hundred bobbie-pins. I wish I had a picture. Before long my hair was down and beautifully curled. Mom and sisters made the first great save of the day.

Meanwhile, the dashing groom slept in a little, ate a hotel continental breakfast, showered and dressed in 15 minutes, then showed up at the temple as gorgeous as can be. Oie, to be a boy...

Sealing
After all the in-temple preparations, I was brought to Tyler. What a moment. We didn't even know what to say - we just smilied. Our guests arrived seperatetly without seeing us, including a few of my friends who I hadn't seen for a while. So as Tyler and I walked into the room with so many of our loved ones, the emotions completely overcame me. I was instantly crying! My body just couldn't contain all the joy I was feeling.

Now as this point in our relationship Tyler had probably seen more tears than a fiance should have to, and had partially concluded that they were a regular part of my being. Nevertheless, the tears were a little disconcerting for him. Especially when they didn't stop. Poor guy. His mom even leaned over to him and whispered, "Get her to stop!"

As the ceremony continued, the tears dried a little... and Tyler, THANKFULLY, made the second, and absolutely most important, save of the day when he said, "Yes" despite the tears. It was so beatiful and I was so happy to be there with him. I had thought about that moment so many times in my life; it was sureal and wonderful to actually be there. When the ceremony ended and my father came to hug me he was crying this bitter I'm-losing-my-little-girl kind of cry, so of course I had no chance. Sorry if you were there and I got my mascara on your clothes.

Pictures
Of course this is best part for a blog. We've never really done a photo shoot before, so that was new. Our photographers were great to work with.

This is Tyler's beautiful family.

Nicole's beautiful family.

This is such a fun picture!
One of our favorites. It did rain just a little - perfect Portland weather. LOVE IT.
Another favorite.
Luncheon
I don't think we have any pictures of this, which is really sad. We ate lunch at a classic downtown Tigard italian resturant called Cafe Alegro. The staff treated us wonderfully. It felt a little strange doing really normal things, like eating spaghetti, on your wedding day. But then, what else would you do? Anyone else feel that way?!? Jim, Tyler's step-dad, had everyone say something, and it was so kind and precious. I wish I had a recording.

Reception
We received other friends at Hayden's Grill in Tualatin. It was super fun.
Most of our reception line pictures aren't that great... but I had to include this one because of my grandpa, who we simply adore.

Alicia caught the flowers - don't forget it Leash!
Our first dance, with my dad 'looking' on... it was a long day.
I love being right there in Ty's arms.
Departure
This was really fun! I love that moment when everyone sends the couple off. What a beautiful day!

1 comment: