Monday, March 2, 2009

new livingroom

My sweet mother and father gave me a sewing machine for Christmas and I'm finally putting it to good use! And you'd be happy to know, Mom, that I really truly enjoy sewing - a lot! More than ever. I thought it was too tedious for me as a teenager, but somehow I just don't feel that way anymore. Maybe because all I have made so far have been rectangles...not really hard. :) For reals, though, thanks so much for that wonderful gift! It is SO fun!

My first completed project since a college-goddess-Halloween-costume (remember girls?!?), is the following pillow. Although it looks gold here in this picture, the fabric is more of a shiny sage color. I think it's really pretty. I got it on a ridiculous sale, so this pillow was probably actually cheaper to make than to buy. This little guy will have a twin soon, but he's not quite done yet. (The twin was actually my first shot at it, and didn't end up very good, so I've taken him apart and am starting again.)

This picture is more true to the real color and shows the fun pipping in the middle. (Is that what it's called, "pipping?")


Next up, we painted. Yes, yellow. Honestly, some days we like how colorful and happy it is. And then other days we think it doesn't match anything else in the room. What do you think? We are seriously considering repainting... ideas?



Next were the drapes, which you can also see here. We picked out the fabric and rod on Friday night (date night at Johann's - YEA!) and I sewed them Saturday while Tyler was out being sporty. ( FYI: Sleep in, sew in my PJs until 3:00 while listening to music = relaxing.)

Tyler put up the rod when he got home and TA-DA! We have a new living room. What do you think? Click here for a picture of this room when we first moved in.

7 comments:

  1. Lise found you guys' blog, so I am just commenting to let you guys know that I can now stalk you whenever I want. I kind of like the yellow myself and am the kind of guy that would think it is too much work to repaint, as long as you like it at least part of the time (chances are that when you repaint you will again only like it part of the time again anyways, and the other part of the time you will wish it were yellow). So yeah, I hope Tyler is learning to figure out how to fix teeth really well cuz he knows I have TONS of teeth problems. Peace, and Im glad I now know where your blog is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lise found you guys' blog, so I am just commenting to let you guys know that I can now stalk you whenever I want. I kind of like the yellow myself and am the kind of guy that would think it is too much work to repaint, as long as you like it at least part of the time (chances are that when you repaint you will again only like it part of the time again anyways, and the other part of the time you will wish it were yellow). So yeah, I hope Tyler is learning to figure out how to fix teeth really well cuz he knows I have TONS of teeth problems. Peace, and Im glad I now know where your blog is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nicole! I found you through Heather's blog. What are you up to? It looks like your place is super cute! How is Tyler enjoying dental school? You'll have to give me the scoop on being a first-year-dental-student's wife. Do you ever get to see him? I'm excited to start our new life, but I'm a little nervous because everyone always tells us how hard it is and how you never see your husband for the first two years. It's nice to see some pictures and share part of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the yellow on your walls and wouldn't change it - but then, it is my favorite color. Sounds like my kind of Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE those pillows, they turned out so well! I think the yellow is fun! I haven't seen it in person, but Bryant said it was a "good yellow" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very cute! I also refused to let my mom talk me into sewing as a teenager, but now I'm doing it for fun! I think pictures of the college goddess costume are needed!

    I think the colore looks goods. We repainted our living room THREE times before we were completely happy with the color, so I understand that feeling though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the piping (or whatever it's called)! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete